Krissy

Novice
Jan 12, 2020
USA
VC
More  
Games I Play
PUBG LITE PC
I've attempted to install Prime OS, Remix OS, Phoenix OS and of course the crew that started it all, x86 Project. No matter what I install I end up with ZERO sound. In looking through allot of the posts on SG I'm seeing allot of people asking the same question, "how to fix no sound" and I'm no exception. Is there a way to tell if my sound will work before going through all the trouble of installing different bistro's of x86??? I haven't installed Dark Matter yet but my hopes have been raised since even a girl knows you have to have sound to play the games we all love, so here I am with bonnet in hand, hoping someone can give me some answers about the sound issue on Android for the PC, please someone must know the answer. I honestly don't have the enthusiasm to install another version of Android only to find out I have no sound.

Thanks in advance
Krissy

AXON

Admin
Supreme
Blog Author
Nov 22, 2019
Dhaka, Bangladesh
supreme-gamers.com
VC
It's not just about hopping between different distributions of android-x86. As you've mentioned that you gone thru PhoenixOS, PrimeOS, RemixOS and the actual Android-x86 itself. In fact, they all are just android-x86 with just tiny changes, mostly in GUI. So hopping between them won't help you.

What you can do is try out all the kernels we have in our RESOURCES section over any of the androix-86 distro you using right now since I've seen that many of the users don't actually get sound over a number of kernels.
And it'd be better if you would mention your hardware specifications also.
Furthermore you could play around with alsamixer.

Lastly I suggest that you wait for DarkMatter Exo4.7 which will be having almost everything ready to use. (Including alsamixer)
Until then you can also try out one of the latest blissOS builds by @Electrikjesus which got latest kernels included.
You don't really need to install, just live boot into any distro with USB to quickly check it out.

Krissy

Novice
Jan 12, 2020
USA
VC
More  
Games I Play
PUBG LITE PC
It's not just about hopping between different distributions of android-x86. As you've mentioned that you gone thru PhoenixOS, PrimeOS, RemixOS and the actual Android-x86 itself. In fact, they all are just android-x86 with just tiny changes, mostly in GUI. So hopping between them won't help you.

What you can do is try out all the kernels we have in our RESOURCES section over any of the androix-86 distro you using right now since I've seen that many of the users don't actually get sound over a number of kernels.
Furthermore you need could play around with alsamixer.

Lastly I suggest that you wait for DarkMatter Exo4.7 which will be having almost everything ready to use. (Including alsamixer)
Until then you can also try out one of the latest blissOS builds by @Electrikjesus which got latest kernels included.
You don't really need to install, just live boot into any distro with USB to quickly check it out.
Axon, thank you for your excellent reply, until I read your post I was beginning to think I'd lost my mind. I was running an Asus Sabertooth FX 990 with a Ryzen CPU, however I read in one of the many sites dedicated to getting Android into a operating desktop system that none of the distributions run under AMD. I thought that sounded a bit strange but since nothing I was doing helped I actually changed to an Asus Maximus Hero VII, with an Intel 4930K CPU, two Radeon HD 6870 GPU running in Crossfire mode. Since that particular board doesn't have built in Wi-Fi I added a wi-fi card to satisfy some of the distributions that required it, like Remix. Powering all of it is a Seasonic Prime 750 Power supply and to keep it cool a Corsair water cooling system. Also running 32gb of ram so I'm a bit overpowered for what I'm wanting to achieve but so far I've only had minor brushes with the sound, which is why I returned here, this seems to be the only place that has good answers and folks who don't pull any punches, an environment I enjoy greatly. I actually did download BlissOS but never tried it to this point. Since I'm at a new starting point would you recommend Bliss over DarkMatter, it's one of the few distributions I haven't tried and from what I read it's an excellent system and to be honest from what I've read DarkMatter is one of the few that is updated. Those are just some random thoughts. BTW the reason I'm wanting to put it on a hard drive on this computer is because once it's done it will be the primary machine for my husband who plays games while watching IPTV. So the box needs to be gaming friendly and a streamer also, which again is what brought me back to SG. I'll take your advice on just live booting some of the distro's you suggested and see if I can get some sound, starting with BlissOS. I'll let you know the results but regardless of the results I truly appreciate your taking the time to respond to my cry for help.
Krissy

12M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz

AXON

Admin
Supreme
Blog Author
Nov 22, 2019
Dhaka, Bangladesh
supreme-gamers.com
VC
Axon, thank you for your excellent reply, until I read your post I was beginning to think I'd lost my mind. I was running an Asus Sabertooth FX 990 with a Ryzen CPU, however I read in one of the many sites dedicated to getting Android into a operating desktop system that none of the distributions run under AMD. I thought that sounded a bit strange but since nothing I was doing helped I actually changed to an Asus Maximus Hero VII, with an Intel 4930K CPU, two Radeon HD 6870 GPU running in Crossfire mode. Since that particular board doesn't have built in Wi-Fi I added a wi-fi card to satisfy some of the distributions that required it, like Remix. Powering all of it is a Seasonic Prime 750 Power supply and to keep it cool a Corsair water cooling system. Also running 32gb of ram so I'm a bit overpowered for what I'm wanting to achieve but so far I've only had minor brushes with the sound, which is why I returned here, this seems to be the only place that has good answers and folks who don't pull any punches, an environment I enjoy greatly. I actually did download BlissOS but never tried it to this point. Since I'm at a new starting point would you recommend Bliss over DarkMatter, it's one of the few distributions I haven't tried and from what I read it's an excellent system and to be honest from what I've read DarkMatter is one of the few that is updated. Those are just some random thoughts. BTW the reason I'm wanting to put it on a hard drive on this computer is because once it's done it will be the primary machine for my husband who plays games while watching IPTV. So the box needs to be gaming friendly and a streamer also, which again is what brought me back to SG. I'll take your advice on just live booting some of the distro's you suggested and see if I can get some sound, starting with BlissOS. I'll let you know the results but regardless of the results I truly appreciate your taking the time to respond to my cry for help.
Krissy

12M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz
I suggest that you remove any existing android-x86 distro installaton from your hard-drive if you have any, since it might conflict with the live-booting process of some of the android-x86 distros out there. Once you find a specific android-x86 setup which would work good for your hardware then in theory you may install it permanently in a hdd/ssd. And yes, blissOS can be a good bet to start with. Let me know if one of the latest blissOS builds with kernel 5.8 actually helped.

Lastly, it's always a bit of a pain in the ass to deal with cutting edge hardware setup when talking about android-x86, so all you can do is try.

Krissy

Novice
Jan 12, 2020
USA
VC
More  
Games I Play
PUBG LITE PC
A
I suggest that you remove any existing android-x86 distro installaton from your hard-drive if you have any, since it might conflict with the live-booting process of some of the android-x86 distros out there. Once you find a specific android-x86 setup which would work good for your hardware then in theory you may install it permanently in a hdd/ssd. And yes, blissOS can be a good bet to start with. Let me know if one of the latest blissOS builds with kernel 5.8 actually helped.

Lastly, it's always a bit of a pain in the ass to deal with cutting edge hardware setup when talking about android-x86, so all you can do is try.
AXON, thank you for that info, especially that last line about trying to deal with cutting edge hardware, it made me feel like I'm not the only one going through this. I really love Android and want it to work so I'll do what you suggested and just keep trying till I find something that works. Ran into the same sound issue with Bliss that I've had with the other distributions, so onward and upward till I find what works. Believe me when I tell you that when I find it you guys will be the first to know.

Thanks
Krissy

HMTheBoy154

Supreme
Blog Author
Nov 24, 2019
Hai Duong, Vietnam
VC
More  
Games I Play
Free Fire, Honkai Impact 3
A

AXON, thank you for that info, especially that last line about trying to deal with cutting edge hardware, it made me feel like I'm not the only one going through this. I really love Android and want it to work so I'll do what you suggested and just keep trying till I find something that works. Ran into the same sound issue with Bliss that I've had with the other distributions, so onward and upward till I find what works. Believe me when I tell you that when I find it you guys will be the first to know.

Thanks
Krissy
If you want to use HDMI from your AMD GPU then we haven't test Radeon 6xxx series yet. We used to test on an RX 570 and it didn't work no matter we tried.

However, if you use internal audio then it might be because of the audio configuration on your motherboard is different from us, so we might have to spend some time to check the output of alsa to find the right one and then activate it.

Ping me if you have time, let me see if I can help you.

Krissy

Novice
Jan 12, 2020
USA
VC
More  
Games I Play
PUBG LITE PC
have you tried switch audio devices output ? try lesser audio switch or sound about
Absolutely!!!
Post automatically merged:

If you want to use HDMI from your AMD GPU then we haven't test Radeon 6xxx series yet. We used to test on an RX 570 and it didn't work no matter we tried.

However, if you use internal audio then it might be because of the audio configuration on your motherboard is different from us, so we might have to spend some time to check the output of alsa to find the right one and then activate it.

I'm in the process of switching the motherboard to an Asrock Fatality z-97 killer. So hopefully that will eliminate the issue with AMD. When I get done and get the software loaded I'll ping you if I still have no sound. Seeing as I haven't been able to get the sound working on anything I've tried I'm' pretty sure I'll be asking for you to take a look and tell me what you think. BTW, since I haven't loaded anything yet should I load DarkMatter 4.6 or another distribution. I'll be happy to load anything you suggest. Of all the distro's I've tried I like Phoenix and Prime the best, although Prime appears to have been abandoned by it's dev, probably out of frustration.

Absolutely!!!

I'm in the process of switching the motherboard to an Asrock Fatality z-97 killer. So hopefully that will eliminate the issue with AMD. When I get done and get the software loaded I'll ping you if I still have no sound. Seeing as I haven't been able to get the sound working on anything I've tried I'm' pretty sure I'll be asking for you to take a look and tell me what you think. BTW, since I haven't loaded anything yet should I load DarkMatter 4.6 or another distribution. I'll be happy to load anything you suggest. Of all the distro's I've tried I like Phoenix and Prime the best, although Prime appears to have been abandoned by it's dev, probably out of frustration.
Well, I've changed the motherboard out and went with and Intel board with a 4790K cpu and it made little difference. I can install anything I want in Android and I still have no sound. The Z-97 chipset is a bit dated but I think it was so dated that Android wouldn't run on it. Of course that's not the problem, the problem is I clearly don't have a clue what I'm doing. I've read and watched every tutorial you guys made and some you didn't' make, no matter what I do in the end I have no sound. BTW that runs across ALL the distributions I"ve tried whether it DM or Phoenix, x-86, Remix...etc. I know I"m a blonde but I can't be this dumb, I see others running DM with no problem, so I'm just lost, BUT I'm not giving up. In my years of doing this I know that its always something small that is the problem and if you hang in there a while you'll find the problem. I'm hoping you can share some shortcuts to what I'm doing wrong. I saw one vid that Axon made on installing this distribution on an NTFS partition, is that recommended?? I did see that you guys said you get better speed from EXT4 but I'm using the box to stream, not necessarily for gaming, where speed is critical. Anyway just some thoughts of the last few days of total frustration. Thanks for listening, Krissy

I think you just did help me. I have beat my head against the wall trying to install DM but it wasn't working no matter what I did, then I read you post and I've been trying to get this to work using a Radeon RX-580, and like you stated it won't work no matter what I do, wow do I feel stupid. Anyway I'm around at the moment but I'm getting ready to see if I can find a different Vid card to use. Thanks for the help even if you didn't know you were helping you certainly did, baniging my head against the Radeon RX-580 hurt, LOL.

Furthermore you could play around with alsamixer.

Axon,
You were right on the button with waiting till 4.7 came, I loaded it this afternoon and it looks great. There are a few things, that may be bugs but I'm not sure.
1. When installing and following your video I never got to select what size data.img I wanted, It never came up before the install. My question is, can I increase the data.img file by using my skills at that to increase my data.img file. I've be able to do that with other distributions of Android x86, but am unwilling to go there unless you tell me it's OK as I don't want to screw my installation up???
2. Is it possible to use my own launcher on DM 4.7. Again, I haven't tried and and won't unless you tell me it's OK
3. The first couple of times trying to install 4.7 with the Windows Installer I kept getting the error message that, ramdisk.img, initrd.img, and gearlock was unable to be transferred to the disk and that going further could cause serious problems. I just kept working at it and at some point it did transfer but I have no idea what I could have done to correct the situation, I just kept at it till it worked. You might want to look at that since it may be a bug.
4. Now that it's installed I am beyond impressed with the level of skill shown on this site, you guys are all amazing, but you in particular stand out to me, so thank you for your help and the work that you all do. If there is anything I can do to help you guys just sat the word and I'll be here.

Thank you so very much,
Krissy

Last edited:

AXON

Admin
Supreme
Blog Author
Nov 22, 2019
Dhaka, Bangladesh
supreme-gamers.com
VC
Absolutely!!!

Well, I've changed the motherboard out and went with and Intel board with a 4790K cpu and it made little difference. I can install anything I want in Android and I still have no sound. The Z-97 chipset is a bit dated but I think it was so dated that Android wouldn't run on it. Of course that's not the problem, the problem is I clearly don't have a clue what I'm doing. I've read and watched every tutorial you guys made and some you didn't' make, no matter what I do in the end I have no sound. BTW that runs across ALL the distributions I"ve tried whether it DM or Phoenix, x-86, Remix...etc. I know I"m a blonde but I can't be this dumb, I see others running DM with no problem, so I'm just lost, BUT I'm not giving up. In my years of doing this I know that its always something small that is the problem and if you hang in there a while you'll find the problem. I'm hoping you can share some shortcuts to what I'm doing wrong. I saw one vid that Axon made on installing this distribution on an NTFS partition, is that recommended?? I did see that you guys said you get better speed from EXT4 but I'm using the box to stream, not necessarily for gaming, where speed is critical. Anyway just some thoughts of the last few days of total frustration. Thanks for listening, Krissy

I think you just did help me. I have beat my head against the wall trying to install DM but it wasn't working no matter what I did, then I read you post and I've been trying to get this to work using a Radeon RX-580, and like you stated it won't work no matter what I do, wow do I feel stupid. Anyway I'm around at the moment but I'm getting ready to see if I can find a different Vid card to use. Thanks for the help even if you didn't know you were helping you certainly did, baniging my head against the Radeon RX-580 hurt, LOL.

Axon,
You were right on the button with waiting till 4.7 came, I loaded it this afternoon and it looks great. There are a few things, that may be bugs but I'm not sure.
1. When installing and following your video I never got to select what size data.img I wanted, It never came up before the install. My question is, can I increase the data.img file by using my skills at that to increase my data.img file. I've be able to do that with other distributions of Android x86, but am unwilling to go there unless you tell me it's OK as I don't want to screw my installation up???
2. Is it possible to use my own launcher on DM 4.7. Again, I haven't tried and and won't unless you tell me it's OK
3. The first couple of times trying to install 4.7 with the Windows Installer I kept getting the error message that, ramdisk.img, initrd.img, and gearlock was unable to be transferred to the disk and that going further could cause serious problems. I just kept working at it and at some point it did transfer but I have no idea what I could have done to correct the situation, I just kept at it till it worked. You might want to look at that since it may be a bug.
4. Now that it's installed I am beyond impressed with the level of skill shown on this site, you guys are all amazing, but you in particular stand out to me, so thank you for your help and the work that you all do. If there is anything I can do to help you guys just sat the word and I'll be here.

Thank you so very much,
Krissy
  1. Thats been a bit misunderstanding to a number of people, actually data.img selection/creating is not required for extFS for android-x86-pie and below(instead an independent data folder is used), but at the time when I recorded the video I used lineageOS(android-R) ISO with the windows-installer for my advanced-android-x86-installer project. But since 95% of the process is the same so just to help myself saving some time I made out darkmatter-tutorial video out of it. (Guess i'll cut that part out directly from youtube-studio)

2. Yes, you can simply install any launcher you want as a user-app. (Altho this isnt possible in the original PhoenixOS, for that you'd need to replace stock launcher apk with your desired one which is compilcated)

3. The problem is with windows dealing with ext type partitions, during running tests many times I realized that *sometimes once you format an partition into ext* type and afterwards try to mount it, it gets mounted in a unstable way and thus writing it isnt possible. (To workaround this, you need to reboot and *skip partitioning since you've already done that and redo the rest of the process, because if you format again the same thing will happen)

4. And lastly, this is an Early-Preview/BETA version. We still got a lot of bugs to deal with, specially it was hard to realize that how many new bugs could actually pop out until we made it public. And the fact that, since every PC has a complex setup of anything its build-with or running over, so it's never easy.

Get Connected

Discord Server

New Threads

Latest From Blog