Learn Which Kernel or Mesa Driver Would Work the Best for You on Android-x86

This article was written with the intention of making it easier for android-x86 users on selecting the most suitable kernel or mesa according to their hardware.

What is Kernel ?

In simple words it's the thing which linux based operating systems has to depend on.
Linux kernel handles everything that happens in your operating system from the core level which includes hardware interaction. It is the very first thing after BIOS which your PC loads before loading up the actual OS. A kernel contains many modules which are required for the hardware that you use to be able to make a bridge between software and hardware.

To know more, check on wikipedia.

What is Mesa Driver ?

Mesa is the software library which provides graphics api for rendering stuffs that you see over your monitor.

The Mesa project began as an open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification - a system for rendering interactive 3D graphics.

Over the years the project has grown to implement more graphics APIs, including OpenGL ES (versions 1, 2, 3), OpenCL, OpenMAX, VDPAU, VA API, XvMC and Vulkan.

A variety of device drivers allows the Mesa libraries to be used in many different environments ranging from software emulation to complete hardware acceleration for modern GPUs.

Mesa ties into several other open-source projects: the Direct Rendering Infrastructure and X.org to provide OpenGL support on Linux, FreeBSD and other operating systems.
-- Source: Mesa3D Intro Page

Kernel to choose for your Hardware
  1. Kernel 4.9.x
    ---> Works the best on old CPU's.
  2. Kernel 4.13.x
    ----> Works the best on Intel i3 CPU's
  3. Kernel 4.14.x
    ----> Works better on Intel Celeron series.
  4. Kernel 4.19.x
    ----> Works better on newer/recent CPU & GPU with better support than old kernels.
  5. Kernel 5.x.x
    ----> Provides support for new AMD GPU's
Mesa Driver to choose for your Hardware
  1. Mesa 17.2
    ----> Works good on intel celeron series
  2. Mesa 17.4
    ----> Should work nice on mid-range GPU
  3. Mesa 18.1
    ---->May help to reduce lag on low spec PC for games like PUBG
  4. Mesa 18.3.6
    ----> Good for Nividia GPU
  5. Mesa 19.0.4
    ----> Good for Old Intel GPU
  6. Mesa 19.1.0
    ----> Works better on Intel i7 CPU's
  7. Mesa 19.3.4
    ----> Has better support for newer AMD GPU with LLVM8 implementation
  8. Mesa 20.0
    ----> Works better on recent GPU's
  9. Mesa 20.0.2
    ----> Might work better on most intel gpu's

Specific Device Support Combo
  1. Kernel 4.19.128 and Mesa 19.3.5 for Nividia GT 1030

If you got GearLock installed on your Android-x86 then you can install these easily.

Go to our resources section to download them. (Note: there are different versions if you click on RELEASES tab on a resource)

If you're a gamer and tried almost all of the above then comment below with your best combo, also mention which games did you tested on.

Last edited:
AXON

Comments

Uzair King

Novice
May 4, 2020
Pakistan
VC
More  
Games I Play
PUBG MOBILE
Yo
after install mesa 20 got blank screen terminal, Spec i5 2500k GPU R7 200, anyone help
Mesa 20 not supported. Change it back whifhc mesa was working before just Alt+F1 or write gear lock change Mesa back.
Post automatically merged:

No. You canipdat
i am using a laptop with 2 graphic cards intel and AMD and my phoenix is using intel is there any solution to switch to AMD?
No. But you can Update to Mesa 20 for best performance

beygi9372

Novice
Jul 21, 2020
Tehran
VC
hi guys..i need some help here. i have a HP laptop (Pavilion dv6-6c65) : Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.2 GHz - internal Graphic Intel HD 3000 - AMD Radeon HD 7690M XT ( dedicated and not recognized by PhoenixOS) - 8GB Ram
which version of Kenel and Mesa is best for me in playing Pubg ??

Mufor

Novice
May 3, 2020
El Salvador
VC
More  
Games I Play
PUBG PC, Free Fire
best kernel and mesa for Intel Core i7 860 and Nvidia GT1030? I've tried kernel 4.13.5 with mesa 18.3.6 and I getting openGL 2.0 and poor resolution

Get Connected

Discord Server

Get Connected

Discord Server

New Threads